Follow Blaugust on Anook

Blaugust is a public nook on Anook. Sign up to join this nook or create your own public community or private hideout for your blog, forum, guild or anything else you like.

The other stuff thread!

Topic started by Belghast Aug 3, 2015, 7:41:36 PM.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:11:03 PM
AlishaRueHMIC wrote
AlishaRueHMIC

For the moment I seem to be doing alright post wise. I think the biggest thing at the moment for me is two things:

1. Finding my "voice" in my posts

and

2. Not pigeonholing myself in the content I produce and put out.

I try my hardest to make my content quality content, but even as the blog is predominantly being recognized for the FFXIV coverage (as I can tell from insights and tags that most people search for) I want folks to see a well rounded individual and all facets of me I guess. I think with time finding my voice when writing will help that somewhat. It's all a learning experience at the moment. :D

Aug 4, 2015, 11:14:10 PM
Jaedia wrote
Jaedia

Taking part is the most important thing! Don't let it stress you out, if you can't make 31, it's okay. <3

Aug 5, 2015, 12:54:32 PM
UnwiseOwl wrote
UnwiseOwl

Ok, found some GOODIES today. Day four is the DAY, people.

Aug 5, 2015, 5:44:12 PM
Liore wrote
Liore

I have almost 0 idea what I'm going to write that day when I wake up in the morning. Sometimes I'm inspired by reading Twitter on the bus on the way to work, and sometimes I just... make crap up as I go.

Aug 5, 2015, 7:00:21 PM
Belghast wrote
Belghast

I am going to second what @Liore said... basically I sit down at the screen and then just start writing. Sometimes I backspace it all before I finally find the topic, other times I ramble on for a bit in my opening paragraph before ultimately choosing a direction to go bounding off in. The rare magical thing is when I have a morning like today... when I had a real thing I wanted to talk about. I guess my theory is... most people have something to say at all times, they just don't know they do until they start saying it.

Not every discussion is a well rehearsed speech, and similarly not every blog post has to be this epic well researched post on something of the utmost importance. You are interesting enough on your own without adding much to the equation.

Aug 5, 2015, 8:11:12 PM
Ysharros replied to Karinshastha
Ysharros
It's hard for me to mentally manage all of these different platforms which many of y'all seem to float between effortlessly. I spend time writing and cross-posting and then POOF! All of my time is gone and I haven't +1'd anything on Anook yet. I can favstar on Twitter provided I can keep up with my now-gargantuan timeline...how do the rest of you do it?

With extreme difficulty and weird lost-time incidents when I realise "5 minutes on social media" has turned into OH GOD WHERE HAS MY DAY GONE I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED TO WORK YET!!

... Like today. I work from home and it's usually a wonderful thing, but not so much this week. Hopefully the Blaugust mania will calm down as the event hits its stride.

EDIT - and Bel's method is mine too. Sit down, write shit. Sometimes it works... sometimes it works a bit less - but it's all authentically me either way. Even *I* can't be fascinating all the time. /cough

Edited by Ysharros Aug 5, 2015, 8:12:35 PM.
Aug 5, 2015, 8:27:30 PM
WilhelmArcturus wrote
WilhelmArcturus

I tend to come up with my blogging ideas when I am doing something else, and I know that if I do not write them down, I will lose them. I write things on post-its or email things to myself all the time, and then put them in placeholder posts when I have some time.

So my drafts folder is rather well populated with posts that are mostly a list of ideas and things to cover.

And then I have a whole series of events that I know will trigger posts, so I start writing a template ahead of time, as with yesterday's WoW subscription number announcement. I had some basic things in place for that, including the title. Titles are important to me.

Sometimes, usually on weekends, I sit down in front of the computer and write off the cuff and hit the publish button. More often though I have some notes, or sometimes just screen shots that dictate the narrative, in a placeholder post to start with and I build on that.

It helps that I am a creature of habit and have a routine. I think my evening screen shot review might be my most fertile time frame. Not sure what I will do for tomorrow's WoW expansion announcement, though I am tempted to do a quick predictions post tonight just for comedy.

Aug 5, 2015, 8:46:47 PM
Karinshastha replied to Jeromai
Karinshastha
I err in favor of simplicity, ignoring anything I can't figure out.

That's a wonderful place to start. I have a couple of comments and +1s ready to go from my Feedly session earlier. I guess I'll take the simple, organic approach and not stress out about not being able to robo-consume Blaugust material.

Aug 7, 2015, 2:22:11 PM
ggchestnut wrote
ggchestnut

The ideas part isn't the hard part for me, sadly. It's the funk I get into where I just can't bring myself to post despite all the millions of ideas half-written, or just rumbling around in my head.

Anybody else have this problem? How do you guys deal with it?

Aug 8, 2015, 1:11:08 AM
ggchestnut wrote
ggchestnut

So, another question as well: thoughts on watermarking your screenshots for your posts? Is it worth it? Why do/don't you do so? I've been contemplating it, but not sold on it yet.

Aug 8, 2015, 6:26:13 AM
UnwiseOwl wrote
UnwiseOwl

@Chestnut: How do I deal with all the other junk rolling around in my head? I write a lot of draft posts, go back to them when I can, and if they've sat around for a month I figure that they weren't that exciting anyway and I just delete them.

As to screenshots, I don't blog games often, but I figure that the art in the game doesn't really belong to me, so I'm happy so people to re-use it if they want to. I'd like to think that if I was MAKING art I'd care more, but my laziness would probably win out then anyway.

Aug 8, 2015, 8:01:43 AM
Stropp wrote

Coming up with post ideas isn't all that difficult for me. The big problem is getting to all of the blaugust participants blogs, let alone reading all these marvelous posts. How many are there now?

There's only so many hours in the day.

Aug 8, 2015, 7:31:32 PM
Jaedia replied to ggchestnut
Jaedia

The ideas part isn't the hard part for me, sadly. It's the funk I get into where I just can't bring myself to post despite all the millions of ideas half-written, or just rumbling around in my head.

Anybody else have this problem? How do you guys deal with it?

I actually answered this in the comments of Jeromai's most recent blog! :)

Aug 8, 2015, 11:59:11 PM
Ysharros wrote
Ysharros

This is the only place where I can post this for most Blaugustinians to see...

The amount of courage, honesty and humour I've seen in the last week of reading these blogs has been extraordinary.

I expected a lot of high-quality mostly game-related entertainment. I'm getting so much more.

Thanks again Belghast, you magnificent crazy bastard, for giving us a month's worth of collective insanity.